Saturday, April 26, 2008

Weight Loss-#2



Have you ever eaten so much "junk" that you actually started craving vegetables? That is "me" today! I guess since today was so hectic, I really did not eat properly and now, at the end of the day I am craving raw veggies! Funny how your body knows what it needs and begins craving what is healthy. I was thinking about my 10 lb weight loss goal today and I was starting to become frustrated by how slowly I am losing, then I thought of the scripture in Galatians (6:9) " Do not become weary in well doing for in due season you shall reap a harvest is you faint not". Now, I am pretty sure this was not meant to be a "weight loss" scripture but I think that it can apply to anything that you are trying to accomplish. The problem usually lies in us giving up before we can reach our goal or finish our task. When we do not instantly see the results that we want we often just quit. I was thinking the other day how we all want what we want, when we want it! We are often like little children and we "throw emotional tantrums" when we can't have what we want.That is why so many Americans are overweight and drowning in debt! (ouch!-I know.) I also think that we have a sense of entitlement. We feel deprived if we can't have everything we want, even if it is not what we need. We have a hard time denying ourselves of anything. One thing I learned from our 40 day fast was I am not going to "die" without chocolate! Huge revelation, I know. I have always allowed myself to eat my favorite foods, I have just learned (and am STILL learning) how to have them in moderation or how to modify them to make them healthier. While I was losing my weight I always had people ask "are you allowed to have________?" my response was always "yes, I am allowed to eat anything I want, BUT-I am choosing not to". I am giving up something today so I can feel better and look better tomorrow-delayed gratification. I hope that I have not been too harsh-it is not my purpose to make anyone feel badly about themselves but rather to encourage others on their own weight loss journey.
A tip to remember: Small steps add up to big rewards! Try to make ONE small change this week-start out slowly and build upon it-rather than trying to change everything all at once it and giving up before wednesday. :)
Need some ideas? Go for a 15 min walk after supper, set a goal to only have dessert/sweets one day, reduce the amount of sugar in your coffee/tea, stop eating after supper,............ . Pick just 1 and stick to it all
week. Let me know how you do and I will let you know how I do as well!

No comments: